Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Over Indulgence

As I sit here, 5 days before I leave for London and the start of my around the world tour, I must admit that there is a lot on my mind. I don't believe doing this trip is for the fain of heart as there are a lot of things to consider. I'm going to list those things but let me preface it by saying, "there's no going back, the trip is booked and even though I've been like a lemming (just going straight forward and jumping off the cliff), I guess this will test my belief and faith regarding the outcome and that everything will work out. So, what are those things?

When I was booking this trip I knew the cost factor financially was a factor. Since I'm not independently wealthy I had to not only pay for the trip but factor in 4 months of my household expenses while I'm away without a paycheque. As much as "living the dream" is something that I am doing by taking this trip; on the other hand I've maxed myself out to do it. So, there's a huge "risk factor" that goes along with "living the dream".

Work and whether I would have a job when I returned was another major fear. Thank God that I don't have a spouse and/or children as many people with that kind of responsibility would find it impossible to do this kind of trip. Yet, things like who would watch my dog and my house for four months have been things that I have had to figure out. I'm also at close to the worst shape I've been in to take a trip like this yet with all this being said, this trip for me is not just a dream. It's not just a want/need. It's a must!!! Because I've looked at all the obstacles and realize that if I don't do this trip and NOW, then I will lose something inside (like a piece of me will have become lost). I suppose it can be likened to "breaking a wild horse". I've worked the past 10 years putting long hours in with little down time and making work my life (of which I have no regrets and will continue to do when I get back). Work has not only been a huge part of my life and the people are my family however the reality is that I don't have an immediate family and I've been overcompensating that loss with work. About a week ago I had to visit my Doctor for my second rabies shot and her words were that I was being "over-indulgent" with taking this type of trip. I was glad that she was honest with me and her comment was appreciated as it has caused me to reflect on my reasons for doing this trip. Let's suffice to say that the risk of taking this trip is less than the risk of me not. So on that note I'm continuing on and I will be letting you know and keeping you informed of all the unique experiences and places that I visit and everything that they have to offer. I want to share with you everything that I'm seeing, feeling and experiencing and what better way than on two wheels. So, please keep visiting and make any comments, additions or things that you may wish to see or know at the end of each blog. And then fasten your seat belt because I hope this next four months are going to be the ride of my life......

2 comments: