Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sleep Deprived Post BC

I haven't written in a few days since the airport in BC. Unfortunately my Aunt and my mom's sister, Pat Renaud, passed away while I was away. My mom didn't want me to know while I was driving as I was putting in long days on the road and it would probably have distracted me. So, yesterday I was in Windsor (6 hours from Huntsville)attending her funeral. Very sad yet my cousins and Uncle did a beautiful job with her funeral arrangements. I'm very fortunate as I have four cousins; Billy, Scott, Jamie and Brian who, even though we see very little of each other, have always been very supportive of me (as my Uncle Clarence and Aunt Pat have been as well). So, they will be following my trip also. My cousins Barbara, Karen and Bruce Laidlaw were also present and I was able to tell them of my expedition also. I do have to credit them with being my roots for motorcycle riding. My mom and I use to visit them and Bruce had a little dirt bike that I was able to take out riding up and down the lane/trail they had behind their house. I loved it (before I turned 16 and had my licence). So, cheers to my family who will be with me in my heart as I'm riding.
Since the BC trip over the long weekend, I've had time to think about it and shake my head "did I really do that". There were times along the way I didn't think I was going to cover the necessary ground to finish in time but the Sunday where I did 1800 kms really made the difference. It also gave me lots of time to think about so many different topics; lovelife, work, friendships, family, passions, riding, my dog etc. making me realize that riding has become a necessary place where I can go to de-stress and look around at the things around me that I'm missing day to day as my sole focus is work. I never seem to take the time to smell the roses but get caught up in the grind of work - never enough time to do anything else. The ride made me realize the "balance" is the key and riding is like looking out/after my soul. So, that's my food for thought for today. The weather has been beautiful so hopefully anyone reading this has been out riding (I'm bikeless for 2 weeks until London). I've already received my post trip information package from Compass Expeditions so everyday this London to Magadan ride is becoming more real. It's getting down to the packing. So, off to work and until later.
JACK

No comments:

Post a Comment