Monday, May 17, 2010

AROUND THE WORLD


It’s so hard to believe that two years ago I was living a semi contented life going from
home to work, home to work, home to work; hanging out with my dog Mitzi, watching
my soaps and thinking “I guess this is what life is about; nothing too overly exciting,
good paying job, friends however no real passion or sense of purpose. Is this really what
my life is suppose to be like?” Oftentimes I have grown very agitated as if there is
something that I’m suppose to be doing but the frustration of not knowing what that
something is has been like a hell for me. Until 2 years ago…

I was sitting in one of those Saturday morning pep talk meeting that sales people have in the
Car biz and our owner, Jason Armstrong of Huntsville Honda was flashing through all
sorts of used vehicles for sale on the overhead screen when I caught a glimpse of a HUGE
burgundy machine with Lots of chrome and then suddenly it was gone. It happened so
fast that it didn’t register with me consciously what I had just seen and it wasn’t until at
least a month later one Saturday, out of the blue, I asked my owner, “awhile back there was a
bike that flashed up on the screen in our meeting – do you happen to know who owns that?”
as it was not on our lot. He said, “I DO”. I’ll never forget that moment. It was as if some-
thing in my brain clicked and I had taken mental ownership. He asked me if I wanted to
have a look at it and of course I said sure. It was gorgeous. The chrome pipes gleamed,
Jason was meticulous in the way he kept everything, and the SIZE. WOW!! He told me
To sit on it/try it out. I remember saying “no, that’s o.k.” and then the next words to come out of my mouth were “SOLD”! No price discussion. Nothing! Within an hour I had insurance on
MY new 2002 Honda VTX 1800 and I didn’t even know if I could drive it. I hadn’t
been on a bike in over 20 years. What was my Mother going to say. She had always
been my best friend, confidente and only immediate family member since my father died
And this was one thing I thought she wouldn’t understand due to the danger factor. Yet,
One April day I called her on her way home from Florida and told her of my new purchase, which I scraped together with my income tax refund, credit cards and god knows what else. Her
response, “I didn’t even know you were interested in a bike dear”. In May, once the
weather improved, my boss asked me if I wanted to ride the bike home. Fear instantly shot
through my body as I was afraid of dropping the bike in front of all my fellow employees so
I graciously asked him if he could bring it to my house. That night as I walked through the
garage passing by my new beautiful yet huge 1800, later to be called “the tractor” and walking
into my house, I was just going to go inside watch my soaps and carry on like every other night
of my life when a voice mentally stopped me when I was not quite past it and said, “Get your
ass on this bike as it is too expensive to sit here like an ornament” and I returned with my
boss’ helmut, a jean jacket I owned and a pair of running shoes. The bike roared as I started it (probably would put most harley’s to shame) and the size and weight was not only intimidating
but my mind kept thinking ‘I can’t drop Jason’s bike”. Yet, something pushed me forward and after two sweeps of the neighbourhood, I pulled up to a co-workers/friends house (who said he could hear me coming for miles) and he told me “you look like you’ve been riding for years.” I remember feeling as if my father was with me in that moment and I still believe he’s riding with me everytime I’m outriding; keeping me safe and experiencing the thrill of riding right alongside of me. Again, that was 2 years ago. Since then, I’ve gone motorcycling in the Alps (what a blast five countries in a week, 49 Switchbacks up Passo Del Stelvio (over 10,000 feet high in the Italian Alps) with pegs touching on the corners , our Rome to Sicily Trip in 2009 and then on May 1st, 2010, I asked my boss for a leave of absence.

After the Alps trip, I had seen Long Way Around and knew I had to do this trip one day. the “around the world trip” became my dream which I often spoke of with my riding buddies; joking and laughing that “one day….” Then my boss wanted to talk about improving the Business Office and unbeknownst to me I suddenly was telling him that I needed to take a four month leave of absence. I was feeling burnt out and something was missing – the spark was gone. He agreed to give me the four months. I went online to a website called “Compass Expeditions” where I had seen what looked to me like “the Long Way around Trip” for the price of a bike and I called them. They told me that I was right at the deadline as it didn’t leave any time for getting the required Visas. I didn’t even know how I was going to pay (not only for the trip but for the months I would be away and my regular bills). I just went ahead and told them, “I’m coming” and began enquiring about visas, shots, money, International drivers licences etc. That was 15 days ago. Right now it’s May 15th, I have 2 of the 3 visas done, international drivers licence, and I’m on for this trip. It leaves for London June 8th and the ride begins June 12th and I’M EXITED!!!. I’m going around the world!!! My trip of a Lifetime. London to Magadan. Then I’ll fly to Japan back to BC and get my VTX out from storage and ride home to Huntsville. And you know the best part. You’ll be riding with me.

My trip officially begins now with the preparation and my ride May 24 weekend to BC
and fly back Monday night to get to work Tues morning. Two weeks later I leave and you’ll be coming with me. Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment