Monday, May 24, 2010

BC in 3 Days - Is It Possible?

Hey! I'm back! Action Jackson here letting you know that I officially did it. Gotta say I'm proud on the one hand but on the other as I'm sitting here in the Vancouver airport waiting until 11:00 pm to fly home; I'm pretty whooped!!! Just hope I don't miss my plane because I've fallen asleep in the lounge (after having 2 Coors light and my first "real" meal in over a week.) Whatta ride!!! I made it and am here in one piece to let you know that it went without incident. Thanks to my bike, of course. I don't have a name, except VTX, but my bike REALLY did take care of me. It just drove on even when I was feeling to tired it just pointed straight ahead and kept going. For such a heavy bike and being a 2002, I wondered how the bike would perform. I must admit, I was impressed. And soooo many people at gas stations/truck stops came up to say "nice bike". If only it was "nice _ _ _ _ and directed at me (oops, sidetrack). Anyway, made it to Sault Ste. Marie (7 hours) on Friday night. Crossed over into Michigan at 7:00 am next morning (whatta long state that was). Stopped at Mickey D's and couple of guys commented on helmet cam "what is that to take a picture before you hit the deer"? Nice!!!

Made it to Valley City, North Dakota Saturday night (no don't be calling me Valley girl). Big storm overnight. I was going to continue riding but clouds looked bad and lotsa lightening. Next morning heard there were tornados touching down in South Dakota. Rode the rest of North Dakota, ALL of Montana (wow what a big state) and into the mountains in Idaho. I stopped at 10:30 pm in one of the tallest passes trying to find a place to stay as my bike was going sideways on ice (when I passed the "Lookout" I guess that was a clue that I was fairly high up - ya think!!)

Found a small town and it was like something out of the Twilight Zone - spaceships everywhere, ghost-like town except for the bar. I walked into the bar and everyone just stared. A girl walked over, obviously having drank copious quantities asking all sorts of questons, "are you alone and by yourself? Where's your bike?" I asked the bartender for a hotel in town. She made a phone call and got me a room for the night. Thank God. The hotel was decent and my bike was right in front of the door (bit afraid one of the people in the bar might do something). When I woke up though, she fired up and away we went. The morning dew plus the freezing temperatures still made the pass tricky but there is something about doing it in daylight that makes me more brave.

1700 kms and some was yesterday mileage but today was alot less. Through the rest of Idaho and through Washington were very picturesque. Many qualites to Montana where different protrusions jut out of the earth carving out canyons and cavernous rock formations. Quite beautiful. Seattle was a bit of a nightmare to maneuvre and my ride from there to BC was about 250 miles. Lots of sun through the windshield left me burnt (not to mention not much sleep).

So, now I'm here relaxing and telling you my days events. Nice way to recap. This way actually great preparation for my trip that leaves in 2 weeks. So more updates on that soon. For now, Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment